Arsenal vs Crystal Palace LIVE: Gunners keen to extend Premier League lead as Eagles start life after Vieira
Arsenal can extend their lead at the top of the Premier League table with a win over Crystal Palace this afternoon.
The Gunners are lucky to move eight points clear of Manchester City as their title rivals play in the FA Cup this weekend.
Mikel Arteta’s side have won their last five league games and hope to make it six against struggling opponents.
But Arsenal suffered Europa League heartbreak on Thursday night as they pulled out of the competition on penalties against Sporting Lisbon.
Meanwhile, Palace have failed to score in their last four outings and they haven’t won since December in all competitions.
And on Friday they made the decision to eliminate Arsenal legend Patrick Vieira amid growing relegation concerns.
The Eagles lost to Brighton on Wednesday, their third defeat in a row.
Arsenal vs Crystal Palace: How to follow
This Premier League clash will take place on Sunday, March 19.
Kick-off in the Emirates is scheduled for 2 p.m.
The match will not be shown live on TV as the FA Cup quarter-finals will take center stage this weekend.
talkSPORT will have live updates of all the action throughout the afternoon while talkSPORT.com will run a live blog.
To log in to talkSPORT or talkSPORT 2 via the website, click HERE for the live stream.
You can also listen through the talkSPORT app, on DAB digital radio, through your smart speaker and on 1089 or 1053 AM.
Arsenal vs Crystal Palace: Team News
Gabriel Jesus could start after playing the first half of their midweek Europa League exit.
However, Arteta was keen to make sure the fans don’t get too carried away and they will still manage the Brazilian’s minutes.
Eddie Nketiah is also expected to stay on the sidelines as he continues to recover from his ankle injury.
As for Palace, teenage keeper Joe Whitworth made his midweek debut and could do it again.
Vicente Guaita and Sam Johnstone were absent from the squad in this game.
Nathan Ferguson remains out through injury.
Arsenal vs Crystal Palace: What was said?
Arteta has praised Arsenal owners, the Kroenke family, and believes their ambition has no limits.
He said: “It took a while to position themselves where they wanted in terms of how much of the club they owned and how much they could decide and how much they could really benefit the club in the way they felt was right. .
“I believe they’ve been really patient in exactly the right way.
“Now they have shown that they are fully committed, they have big ambitions and they are fully behind the club to give everything they can to make it succeed.
“I am convinced that the owners will continue to do everything for us to succeed and will continue to invest in the club in the right way.”
Arsenal vs Crystal Palace: The facts of the match
- Against any team, Crystal Palace striker Jordan Ayew has scored more Premier League goals than against Arsenal (4). Three of those four goals have been for the Eagles, his most against a London side opponent.
- Since his Premier League debut in September 2020, no player has scored more Premier League goals from corners than Arsenal’s Gabriel Magalhães, with the Brazilian’s 10 goals in the competition coming this way (Harry Kane also 10) .
- Gabriel Martinelli is Arsenal’s top scorer in the Premier League this season with 12 goals, including five in his last five appearances. It is the most goals a player has scored for the Gunners in a single campaign aged 21 or younger since Nicolas Anelka scored 17 in 1998-99.
- Since his Premier League debut with Arsenal in January, no player has been involved in more goals for the Gunners than Leandro Trossard (6-1 goal, 5 assists). He has had five assists in his last four Premier League games, as many as in his previous 64 appearances.
- Arsenal have won their last five Premier League games, scoring at least three goals in four of them, including each of the last three. The Gunners have won four in a row while scoring over 3 goals each time in August/September 2004 (5).
- Crystal Palace have won just one of their eight London Derby matches in the Premier League this season (D2 L5), winning 2-1 at West Ham in November. The Eagles have scored the fewest goals (5) and have the worst goal difference (-10) in such games this season, while Arsenal have the fewest goals conceded (4) and the best goal difference (+ 16).
- Arsenal have won eight of their nine London derbies in the Premier League this season (D1); in the history of the English Football League, no team has ever won nine all-London games in a single season.
- Crystal Palace have kept just a clean sheet in 22 league away games against Arsenal (49 goals conceded), a goalless draw in January 2021.
- Crystal Palace have avoided defeat in each of their last four Premier League away games against Arsenal, with each of the last three finishing levels (W1). That’s as many times as they hadn’t lost in their first 18 league visits to the Gunners (W1 D3 L14).
- Arsenal are looking to complete their first league double against Crystal Palace since 2017-18, following their 2-0 win at Selhurst Park on the opening day of the season.
Betting offer of the day
talkSPORT BET: Get £25 for Cheltenham when you bet 5 x £5 – CLAIM HERE
18+ New customers only. Sign up via the app and bet 5 x £5 (odds 2.00+) on Cheltenham from 1.00pm UK time on 10.03.23 until 1.30pm UK time on 17.03. 23. No collection. Get 5 x £5 free bets, 7 day expiration. Card payments only. Terms and conditions apply, see below. begambleaware.org | Please play responsibly
SEE ALL FREE BETS ON CHELTENHAM HERE