Skip to content
a man interned after breaking into Windsor Castle
 | Top stories

a man interned after breaking into Windsor Castle
| Today Headlines | News Today

An armed man broke into the grounds of Windsor Castle on the outskirts of London on Saturday, where Elizabeth II was spending Christmas. He was interned and is now under the supervision of doctors, police said on Sunday.

The Christmas holidays have been disrupted for the British royal family. A man was interned Sunday, December 26 after trying, the day before, to enter the territory of Windsor Castle, on the outskirts of London, while Queen Elizabeth II was present, police said.

The Thames Valley Police had announced that it intervened at around 8:30 a.m. local time and GMT on Saturday after a security alert and arrested a 19-year-old gunman resident of Southampton, in the south of England.

“A crossbow was found during a search,” London police said in a statement on Sunday evening. “The man was taken into custody and underwent a psychological examination. He has since been interned under the Mental Health Act and remains under the supervision of doctors.”

The man did not enter “any building”

The police had stressed as early as Saturday evening that the security procedures had been “triggered a few moments after the man entered the site” that he had “entered no building”.

“Members of the royal family have been informed of the incident,” the police said.

Queen Elizabeth II, 95, is spending the end of the year in Windsor, now her main residence, after giving up her usual visit to Sandringham, in eastern England, in due to the resurgence of Covid-19 in the UK due to the Omicron variant.

The sovereign, on her first Christmas since the death of her husband Philip in April at the age of 99, was joined on Saturday by several family members including her sons Charles and Edward and the wives of the latter.

“A reassessment of security procedures”

According to the Daily Mirror, the suspect, with his crossbow, was spotted on surveillance cameras. “The security agents could not believe their eyes,” said a security source to the tabloid, adding that an important security device had been deployed “to ensure the safety of the queen who was in her personal quarters” .

According to the newspaper, “a major reassessment of security procedures” is to be expected after the incident.

Attempts to break into Buckingham Palace are not exceptional. The most spectacular dates back to 1982, when a thirty-something, Michael Fagan, managed to make his way to the bedroom of the queen, who was in bed.

On May 10, a man with mental health problems was seen scaling the grounds of the Royal Mews, the stables of the British Royal Family, then passing it back in the opposite direction towards the street shortly after. He had been quickly arrested with cocaine and a kitchen knife. Elizabeth II was not there.

The Queen, who has spent most of the time in Windsor since the start of the Covid-19 pandemic, has reduced the number of her commitments since a night of hospitalization in October for a reason never specified. In a very personal Christmas greetings this year, recorded in Windsor and broadcast on Saturday, Elizabeth II paid tribute to the late Prince Philip, confident she missed him.

With AFP

News Today Google News a man interned after breaking into Windsor Castle

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.