Skip to content
$4.8 million settlement reached in Julian Lewis shooting case


“Taxpayers should know why the state settled this case for nearly $5 million,” Johnson said.

Ms Totten did not respond to emails or phone calls on Sunday.

Credit…Georgia Department of Public Security, via Associated Press

Kara Richardson, a spokeswoman for the Georgia attorney general’s office, confirmed the settlement on Sunday but did not comment further. Keith Barber, Mr Thompson’s lawyer, declined to comment on Sunday.

Days after the shooting, Mr. Thompson was fired and charged with murder and aggravated assault. In June last year, a grand jury declined to indict him.

Lindsay Milton, Mr Lewis’ mother, hinted at the time that race was a factor in the grand jury’s decision, saying: “They’re going to let this young man free because my child was a black man. “

To bring attention to Mr. Lewis’ case, his son, Brook Bacon, led a 63-mile March for Justice in September from Sylvania, Georgia, near where Mr. Lewis was arrested, to the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of Georgia in Savannah, Johnson said.

Mr Bacon said in a statement: ‘We will have no rest until his killer is behind bars.

The US Attorney’s Office said in September it was “in consultation” with the FBI on the circumstances of Mr Lewis’ death.

Jenna Sellitto, spokeswoman for the Federal Bureau of Investigation’s Atlanta field office, declined to comment on Sunday. Barry L. Paschal, a spokesman for the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of Georgia, also declined to comment but said the investigation is continuing.

Ny

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.