2 men arrested in Goshen massacre that left 6 dead, including a baby
After a pre-dawn shooting and a series of raids across California, authorities said on Friday they had arrested two men accused of killing six people, including a teenage mother and her baby, in an execution-style massacre. which stunned the farming town of Goshen in the Central Valley. last month.
The suspects have been identified as Noah David Beard, 25, of Visalia and Angel “Nanu” Uriarte, 35, of Goshen, both members of the Norteño gang, according to the Tulare County Sheriff’s Office.
Uriarte engaged in a shootout with federal agents from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives early Friday and was injured before being arrested, officials said. Tulare County Sheriff Mike Boudreaux said Uriarte, who could face federal charges in the assault of a federal officer, underwent surgery at a hospital and was expected to survive.
Investigators have identified Beard as the suspect charged with killing the 16-year-old girl and her baby.
During the press conference, Boudreaux released grainy surveillance video showing the young mother fleeing with her son moments before they were killed.
In the video, Alissa Parraz walks through a dark alley with her baby in her arms towards a locked mesh door blocking the street. Unable to escape, she hoists her baby over a nearby wooden fence and lowers it onto something on the other side before crossing the driveway and jumping over the chain link fence.
A few moments later, a man walks towards them. He raises his right arm, the dark shadow of a gun visible in his hand, then the video cuts out. Both mother and child were shot in the back of the neck, Boudreaux said.
In audio of a 911 call played during the press conference, a woman inside the house is heard crying and pleading.
“They shot my boyfriend. They keep shooting outside,” she said. “I don’t know if they are still there. I am scared. … Please hurry, please. I don’t know where they are now – [gasp] – they always shoot.
“Are they still shooting? asks the dispatcher.
“Yes,” the woman replies. “Please hurry. They’re coming back. They’re coming back. They’re back.”
” That comes back ?
“Guys,” the woman said. “Do you hear them? Someone else is screaming now.
Gunshots are heard on the recording.
“It’s them,” the woman said, panting. “They are shooting into the house.”
The woman on the 911 call survived the attack by hiding in a trailer, Boudreaux said.
Eladio Parraz Jr., 52, was killed first, followed by Marcos Parraz, 19, and Jennifer Analla, 50, who was shot in her sleep, the sheriff said. Rosa Parraz, 72, was shot in the head as she was kneeling next to her bed. Alissa Parraz and 10-month-old Nycholas were the last to die.
“This family was targeted by cold-blooded killers,” Boudreaux said.
The Tulare County District Attorney’s Office has charged Beard and Uriarte with six counts of murder and a series of special allegations, including multiple murders and murders committed to further the activities of a criminal street gang.
The January 16 killings struck fear in Goshen, an impoverished community in the San Joaquin Valley. In recent years, drug trafficking and gang violence have transformed sparsely populated rural areas such as Goshen into some of the most violent places in California, but even so, the brutality of one family’s massacre shocked the nation, prompting people from as far away as Maine to donate to a reward for capturing the killers.
At least two members of the Parraz family were members of the Sureño gang, Boudreaux said, adding that Goshen is considered rival territory to Norteño. Beyond that information, the sheriff said investigators have not identified any motives for the murders.
The evidence that led to the arrests of the suspects came in part through DNA analysis, which was expedited by ATF labs in Maryland, Boudreaux said. The suspects had been under constant surveillance since January 23, he said.
“We knew every move they made,” Boudreaux said. “We had them under our wing wherever we wanted them.” The public, he argued, was never in danger.
The Tulare County Sheriff’s Office dubbed the morning raids Operation Nightmare and said they included search warrants issued at three locations in Goshen and nearby Visalia, and several state prisons, including North Kern, Corcoran, Folsom and Pelican Bay. A total of eight cells and 16 inmates linked to the Nuestra Familia prison gang were targeted.
Federal law enforcement assisted the sheriff’s office in its investigation, as well as police departments in Visalia, Porterville and Woodlake. The investigation is ongoing, authorities said Friday.
The day after the killing, Boudreaux said the violence was likely the work of a drug cartel. Twenty-four hours later, he slightly modulated that statement.
“I’m not saying it’s a cartel,” he said. “But I’m not ruling out that possibility.”
He also complained about what he called a loose border.
As he announced the arrests on Friday, Boudreaux said some of his earlier public statements were designed to reach out to suspects and advance the investigation.
“We deliberately leaked information to the media,” he said. “We mentioned cartels, we mentioned gang members all over the state of California, the possibility of them trying to get out of the country. [The suspects] felt that we weren’t focusing on them.
Both suspects have long histories with Tulare County law enforcement.
In October 2021, Beard was arrested by Visalia police and charged with carrying a handgun and cocaine, according to Tulare County prosecutors. That case is ongoing, said Stuart Anderson, a spokesman for the Tulare County District Attorney.
At the time of the arrest, Beard was a fugitive, having violated probation in Wyandotte County Kansas, where he was convicted of aggravated robbery, according to court records.
He was extradited to Kansas in November 2021 to answer for the probation violation, Anderson said. It is not known when he was released. Beard was previously charged in Tulare County in 2016 with hit and run, driving a stolen car and obstructing the Tulare County Sheriff’s Deputy. He pleaded no hit-and-run challenge, other charges were dropped, and he served 20 days in the county jail, Anderson said.
Uriarte was charged in 2014 in Tulare County with assaulting a person with a handgun, a crime prosecutors say was committed in association with an unspecified street gang. Anderson said Uriarte pleaded no contest and served about five years of a seven-year prison sentence.
Uriarte and Beard could not be reached for comment.
The Norteño gang to which the two men belong is believed to be linked to the Nuestra Familia prison gang, one of two prison organizations that have a strong influence on Latino gangs in California. The other is the Mexican mafia.
La Nuestra Familia originated in the 1960s, formed by state prisoners who resented the Mexican mafia’s hold over Latino inmates. When it was founded, the Nuestra Familia – Spanish for “our family” – was not defined by any geographic division. Many of its early members came from Chino, East Los Angeles, and other parts of Southern California.
Over the years, however, the Nuestra Familia has come to draw its members from northern and central California gangs. A rough line was drawn in Bakersfield: Gangs north of this line responded to the Nuestra Familia, its members identifying both in prison and on the street as Norteños. Law enforcement officials have noticed that a growing number of gangs in northern and central California now identify themselves as Sureños, which means they take orders and pay “taxes” to mexican mafia members.
In an FBI report reviewed by The Times, a recent defector from the Mexican mafia said the organization was eager to expand into northern and rural areas of the state, where drugs cost more than in the Southern California neighborhoods that are saturated with competing dealers.
Los Angeles Times